Let’s finish with NEWW™ first:
- Remember those awards videos I told you about the other day? The ones hosted by Jeph Jacques? Now you can see them and judge for yourself why he needed a beer in hand to watch ‘em.
- Lots of good coverage of the weekend out there; I’ll particularly point you to Marshall Willenholly’s writeup at MTV Splash Page. The thing about Rick’s reportage is I didn’t remember half the stuff that happened when I was caught up in it instead of making notes. For example, the only thing I recall from the Webcomics Newlywed panel was saying:
Should we use the classic Bob Eubanks question? Where’s the most interesting place that you’ve ever
… before Holly Post interrupted with:
My kids are sitting in the front row!
(classic, but misquoted, answer: That’d be the butt, Bob.) But Marshall was paying attention and got some good detail, and is pushing a lot of good comics to the civilians that haven’t learned their way around our world. No pics of that panel, unfortunately, but others are below the cut.
- Likewise, something I didn’t even notice missing from NEWW™ in all the business was the charity auction — half the money going to the Webcomics Kiva team, and half to rennovation of a local bike trail. Time and logistics kept it from occurring, but it’s coming online (watch this space for details).
- Speaking of webcomics charity, the Karen Ellis benefit auction is now up and running. She’s got a place to live, a panic bag, and some flatpack furnishings, but the need is both great and ongoing.
- Titans of Small Town: Hastings, North, Onstad, one night only in Brooklyn. Ticket information now up.
- The thing is, Carly Monardo really does know how to fence. David Malki ! and Ryan North? Not so much. Her form was immaculate, her understanding of the rules precise, and her reach about 2.3 meters less than the Toronto Man-Mountain, so he basically prevailed. But what could you expect from a man with such enormous … hands and such delicious … meat? Not shown: Ryan using two swords all Musashi-style, then tossing one to Joey Softerworld, who came up behind poor Carly and cut her throat. She sold her foam-rubber death for all it was worth, leaving a broken-hearted Gordon to vow piddly vengeance.
- Infinite Canvas: white room plus Post-Its equals comics. Even blasphemous comics that deny the teachings of the FSM.
- Art: Anders Loves Maria watercolors. Biff and Wondermark pages. Kitty Hawk adventures. Girls With Slingshots paintings. Templar splash pages. Eric Monster giclees.
- Feelin’ the love: Topatoco and Zach Weiner got you covered. Scott Kurtz fights crime. And my lords and masters plot their continued dominance of webcomickry as their wives look on, marginally impressed.